Monday, May 10, 2010

Being in Your Bubble

It takes all kinds to make a world, as one of my favorite sayings goes. There is room for humanity to express itself, individually and collectively, in absolutely any conceivable way under the sun, in order for us to know ourselves more fully as God. There is no limit to how a life can declare itself, or to the circumstances that it can create in finding its path to the truth.

I honor and appreciate the profound grace inherent in our ability to choose a life of our own making, but that doesn’t always mean that I want to be part of what other people think, or create. As sensitive spirit inhabiting physical form, we are all affected by the energy of others’ creations in both positive and negative ways.

If you bump into someone who is in the middle of creating a very accepting, love-filled day and you get a big smile or a hug from that person, you will likely be affected by that reaction in an uplifting way. Similarly, if you encounter someone who is in the middle of nurturing a belief that they are not good enough for some reason, they may feel angry about seeing someone who appears to be doing better than they are, and that anger may cause you to walk away feeling like you somehow failed, regardless of how you had felt previously. These exchanges of energy happen to all of us on a moment-to-moment basis.

One reaction to finding ourselves affected by another in an uncomfortable way is to resist the person. Resistance doesn’t tend to help. It causes communication to break down and negative feelings to grow. A very helpful and proactive way to limit how much we are affected by where others are is a simple technique called being in your bubble, which goes as follows:

1. Spend a few moments with your eyes closed, quieting your thoughts.
2. In your imagination create a bubble all around you that is about a foot out from your body. I like to picture this as a big soap bubble that is clear but indestructible. Picture this in any way that works for you.
3. Notice yourself within this bubble, and acknowledge that any type of energy you don’t want to experience in your own body will be unable to get through the bubble, and will just bounce off.
4. Walk through your day within your bubble. Take a look at the bubble periodically just to affirm that it is there, and recreate it whenever you want to.

There are some really great reasons to use this tool to manage the energy that bounces around us all of the time. A big one for me is that it frees me up to create my own experience the way I choose, as I leave others free to their own expression. I don’t need to get into the struggle and discomfort of resisting what others are doing or thinking, because it happens outside of my bubble and doesn’t need to affect me.

Being in my bubble allows me to stand quietly and witness, and even admire the myriad ways that my fellow humans choose to express their greatness, and still be true to my own experience.

May this tool be a blessing. . .

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sherry,

    That is an interesting concept...way to use your mind. I have noticed that there is clearly a transference of emotion that seems to seep in now and then. I agree that resisting merely boxes us into a current of a negativity and inner dialog, that is self destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Sherry, I've just found that with practice you can control the affect that others have on you. I've never thought about a bubble, I just try to stay within the energy I feel & understand the energy others have.....interesting way to help though.

    Thanks & Hugs,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry, this is a good read. However, I must say I cannot agree a 100% as I believe secluding ourselves within our bubble can be quite a selfish act. We should not be afraid of other's negative influence once we have strengthened our own convictions. Stand strong and let others feel the positive vibes in us and let them be energised by us ... this is random acts of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, Wenny; being our best selves is an act of kindness to others. I have found that I can be aware of my own bubble and still stand strong as a light in the world. I can also use the bubble in those times when I'm not so strong.

    Many thanks, as always, for all of the thoughtful comments.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a great idea and is very similar to a technique I learned in clairvoyant training. There are far too many cases of someone absorbing the negative energy of those around them. That's not a healthy way to heal.

    ReplyDelete