Monday, April 12, 2010

Dancing!

Dancing as a spiritual tool?  You betcha!  My husband and I have taken swing dance lessons on and off for years.  We're not very good, but it's one of the things we do that brings a huge amount of joy.  Something absolutely, positively magical happens when I start to dance.  It doesn't matter what's been going on previously in the day.  When my husband starts spinning me around, and I'm trying to anticipate where he's going to lead me next, before I know it I'm grinning ear-to-ear like a nut!  It's exhilarating, and fun, and well, funny!  It's not uncommon for us to laugh out loud when we're dancing.  Not very dignified, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  We're starting swing lessons again next month, and I can't wait.

My husband teases me sometimes about unexpectedly breaking into dance.  It's a wonderful way to move my body, and be spontaneous, and express happiness in being alive.  And as much as I love dancing with my husband, I don't always need a partner.  I have been known to turn on some fun music and dance in the car on long trips (seated, of course).  More often than I should probably admit, I've put some funk on the radio driving home after work, and car-danced my way down the freeway (after making an agreement with myself that I'm not going to worry about what the people driving near me think!)  Turning on some music and dancing after I get home from work is a great way to release any stress I'm holding onto.  And dancing my way through a day of housework makes the job a whole lot more fun.

Dancing can be a spiritual tool, because it takes me out of my head and squarely into that delicious space of just enjoying expressing through my physical form.  When I dance, my spirit dances, too!

May this tool be a blessing. . .

2 comments:

  1. YOU BETCHA IS RIGHT!

    My hubby and I used to swing dance---West Coast Swing. We met dancing. I was just learning how to "couple's dance" and he was somewhat of a dance God.

    Now we don't go out dancing, but when we are out and there is dancing, we dance. We have a good time.

    So have you heard of Nia? Sounds like you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dancing is a wonderful way to feel things you don't normally feel. It's a way to get lost in the music which, as you say, "it takes me out of my head and squarely into that delicious space of just enjoying expressing through my physical form"

    One of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."

    Thanks for sharing,

    Hugs,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete