Saturday, April 10, 2010

Being Impeccable With Your Word

Because our words have such tremendous creative power in our lives, it is important to be very conscious about the words that we use.  Just as we need to guard our thoughts, it is even more essential in living the life that we intend to use words that embody the energy we wish to manifest in our lives.  Our words are even more powerful than our thoughts in creating how our moments will unfold.

The words we choose, like our thoughts, are mostly unconscious.  We react to something and speak before we've decided if the words are a true representation of who we want to be.  I know I do.  It's very easy for me to forget to be deliberate about the words I speak.

In his book The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz devotes an entire chapter to being impeccable with your word.  It is one of the four agreements.  In it, he says that "Through the word you express your creative power.  It is through the word that you manifest everything."

Literally every word we speak promotes either truth, or fear.  Our statements act to enlighten ourselves and our world, or help hold them in darkness.  Even small, seemingly innocuous statements, like gossip or judging anothers' behavior, have far-reaching effects because they plant seeds of negativity.  Whether from truth or from fear, the opinions, ideas and concepts that we plant grow quickly in the mind's fertile soil.  Ruiz makes the point that our minds become fertile for the type of words that we use.  When we use words to promote positive thoughts, those are the kind that latch on and grow in our minds.  Such is the nature of the spiritual law of attraction, which is always at work.

I found it interesting that impeccable means "without sin."  Ruiz states that "a sin is anything that you do which goes against yourself."  Ultimately, all that we sow in our thoughts and words comes back to us, as the energetic code of that communication forms the reality of our experience.

According to the book, "When you become impeccable with your word, your mind is no longer fertile ground for words that come from (negativity).  Instead, it is fertile for the words that come from love. . .  How much you love yourself and how you feel about yourself are directly proportionate to the quality and integrity of your word.  When you are impeccable with your word, you feel good; you feel happy and at peace."

I am grateful for the reminder!

May this tool be a blessing. . .

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. What I find interesting is that people do not realize the impact that small words have on themselves and the ones around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Sherry, words are very powerful. Statements that begin with the words "I am" or "I'm" carry tremendous influence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One can never be reminded enough of the power of the tongue! Thanks for the reminder Sherry.

    And thank you for stopping by and commenting on my The Four Agreements blog post as well.

    From one Sherry to another . . . may you have a fab-u-lous week ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I really love your work!
    It is easy to see that you have a beautiful, genuine, loving soul.

    ~tonya~
    therightdirection77.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book and the others in his series, I read the four agreements like I read the bible, thank you for the comment on my post because now I have been privileged enough to find this awesome blog of positivity and enriched living, now I will be stuck on your site today exploring ways to enlighten my mind, keep up the good work and I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOu said so much in the first few words . . . "Because our words have such tremendous creative power in our lives"

    The think to keep in mind is "what do we want to create'? Right. Do we want to create positive or negative.

    Nice post. Thanks for stopping by my place and commenting on it and pointing me in this direction. (Now, I gotta read the "dance" post. That TOTALLY caught my feet, er, I mean eye!)

    ReplyDelete