Monday, March 29, 2010

Hearing God

Early this morning I had a conversation with God in our room at the Howard Johnson's.  I was really glad for that conversation, because I've had some important things to discuss.  I've been busy for the past few days, traveling to Georgia to be with family for our grandson's third birthday, and so this morning was the first opportunity I've had to be still and listen.

I sat down and quieted my mind, asked my question of God, and then focused my attention on that space that is everything, where it feels like I can hear the hum of our collective being.  In that place, I wait to hear God's voice from the air, from the glow of the streetlight, or the paint on the wall of the motel room.  God's answers come to me from all of those places, and everywhere, all at once.

I sat and waited, and God's voice did not come.  I continued to quiet my mind, and listened, but the familiar dialog didn't start.  What came instead was a strong sense that God was busy, and not available just then.  For a moment I felt quite disheartened, until I realized that that was not possible.  God is everywhere present, and in every moment of my life. 

I recognized that it was I, not God, who was too busy.  My mind had been too busy.  I am never separated from the voice of God, but it felt like that was true, for a time this morning.  I remembered that my experience of God is reflected in how I am experiencing myself.  And with that remembering, my dialog with God resumed; my questions were asked, and answered, and I was reconnected with my truth.

I have found that hearing God's voice is a matter of shifting my attention, from the details at hand, to a softer focus on being, where everything just is and the details are not important.  The God whose voice I seek speaks to me from all that is, from outside of me but also from within.  Because my experience out in the world reflects what is taking place in the universe within me, when I find peace in my thoughts, there is no end to the peace that I find in the world of my making. 

This morning I remembered myself as God, choosing again to hear herself.

May this tool be a blessing. . .

4 comments:

  1. Thank u for sharing.

    Yes. when one finds peace within, there is no end to peace in world of her making.

    Remain in that love, that peace....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Sherry, I find that only when we slow down & really listen do we get the answers we're looking for. Many of us just live our lives at too fast of a pace & thus we can never truly connect to God/universe. It takes practice & time but the answers will always come....thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, God listens to the extent that we listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by. What a beautiful and inspiring blog you've made. Keep up your work of love and sharing. You've certainly inspired me to get going on my own journal again, and will do so as again as soon as I'm done editing my book, 'What if God Were All, of Us.'
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete